Class 9 Placards & HazMat Endorsements are needed when:
- A CDL license with HAZMAT endorsement is only required when placards are required.
- Permissive placarding does not require the driver to have a CDL or Hazmat Endorsement. Permissive placarding is used to communicate the HM being transported and the vehicle must be placarded correctly. For Class 9 shipments, a CDL and/or Hazmat endorsement is not required.
- The vehicle or container does not require Class 9 Miscellaneous placards, no matter the quantity.
- The HazMat endorsement on the CDL is not required.
- Despite the above, the drivers are still transporting a hazardous material (unless it is fixed in a binder) and therefore require HazMat training every three years.